GRAMMAR COMPONENT: Parts of Speech
Nouns refers to things, places, people, animals and ideas. There are 5 types of nouns.
a) Common Nouns
– They refer to things.
– Table, chair, glass, boy, town
b) Proper Nouns
– They refer to special names of people, things,places, titles, etc.
– Examples : John, Malaysia, Taman Negara, Sunday
c) Collective Nouns
– They refer to groups of people, animals or things.
– Example: a class of pupil, a flock of birds, a fleet of cars
d) Abstract Nouns
– Refer to the name of a quality, feeling or idea.
– Example: beauty, honesty, love, hate, freedom, justice, democracy
e) Countable and uncountable nouns
– Countable nouns: Nouns that can be counted. Can be used in the singular
and plural forms
e.g.: pencil, glass, stone
– Uncountable nouns: Nouns that cannot be counted.
They do not have plural forms.
Wood, sand, water, grass,paint, mud